Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
128 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for eradication of pinworm infection

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2448 Questions
I am having worm problem. Everytime I eat some sweet I feel movement and biting of worms near my anus. Need help on this.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pinworm infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Don't panic. What you have is an infection called Enterobiasis. It is caused by small intestinal parasites called pinworms.

Enterobiasis is considered to be more of a nuisance than a significant illness. Medication is very effective against pinworm, anthelmintics such as mebendazole and albendazole are active against Enterobius vermicularis.

Successful eradication of pinworm infection requires at least 3 doses of medication separated by 3 weeks.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for eradication of pinworm infection 8 minutes later
Thanks for reply. Please provide exact medicine name and dosage.
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vermox or Albenza

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query,

You can take single tablet of mebendazole (Vermox), 100 mg for treatment.If infection persists, the medication is given again three weeks later.

Albendazole (Albenza), 400 mg single dose is also effective against pinworm.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor