Suggest treatment for eradication of pinworm infection

Dr. Praveen G

Infectious Diseases Specialist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Hi.
I am having worm problem. Everytime I eat some sweet I feel movement and biting of worms near my anus. Need help on this.
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Pinworm infection

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

Don't panic. What you have is an infection called Enterobiasis. It is caused by small intestinal parasites called pinworms.

Enterobiasis is considered to be more of a nuisance than a significant illness. Medication is very effective against pinworm, anthelmintics such as mebendazole and albendazole are active against Enterobius vermicularis.

Successful eradication of pinworm infection requires at least 3 doses of medication separated by 3 weeks.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Praveen G 8 minutes later
Thanks for reply. Please provide exact medicine name and dosage.
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Vermox or Albenza

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query,

You can take single tablet of mebendazole (Vermox), 100 mg for treatment.If infection persists, the medication is given again three weeks later.

Albendazole (Albenza), 400 mg single dose is also effective against pinworm.

Thank you.