Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for epididymal cyst

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Hi I have what seems to be a hard lump at the bottom towards back of my testicles. I feel it on both testicles but is more prominent on the left testicle. They do not hurt and seem to be either right on the end or near the tail of the epididimys. Also have been feeling low back discomfort (stiffness) and leg discomfort (tired/ sore and tight feeling. Any idea what this could be?
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be Epididymal Cysts.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have Bilateral Epididymal Cysts (Spermatocele)

However this needs to be confirmed by clinical examination by a qualified Urologist and Ultrasound Scanning of the scrotum.

Spermatocele is a benign cyst that develops due to partial obstruction in path of transmission of sperms from epididymis .It contains clear fluid and remains static for years .

Normally no treatment is required .Active intervention is needed if gets infected or increases in size and becomes painful.

The pain that you have in and back may be due to traction onthe spermatic cord.and can be managed with pain killlers like Brufen for a week.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for epididymal cyst 37 minutes later
Thank you so much for your quick response! This helps a ton. I will go to the Urologist on Monday and get checked. Also, it seems that after I ejaculate the lump completely disappears. Why would that be and is that a normal thing? Thank you!

Brief Answer:
Could be due to stagnation os sperms in Epididymis

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for follow up.
With new information that you ave provided it could e due stagnation of sperms in epididymis which gets released after ejaculation.
Please feedback after you visit to Urologist.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for epididymal cyst 13 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX

Thank you again! This is my final question. So, are the stagnation of sperms in epididimys and the partial obstruction in path of transmission of sperms related to each other? Do you think one is causing the other therefore leading to the cyst that appears and disappears? and what could I do my self that would help the situation? Thank you so much again for your help!

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not relate dto each other,

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

The stagnation of sperm and obstruction are not related to each other.
The stagnation is due to back pressure effect of the opening of ejaculatory duct in urethra being tightly closed which opens during ejaculation and releases all the semen releasing the sperms stagnated in epididymis and relieves pain..

Cyst is outside the wall of Epididymis and it does not get reduced after ejaculation .It is filled with clear fluid and remains static for years together without any symptoms.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.