question-icon

Suggest treatment for enlarged thyroid causing pressure on windpipe

Posted on Mon, 27 Apr 2015
Question: My brother has an enlarged thyroid which is pressing on his windpipe .he is coughing continuously on the waiting list for surgery has been waiting over a year .Is there anything he can do to help get some relief from the cough
Answered by Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta (8 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
SURGERY IS THE ONLY DEFINITIVE SOLUTION

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Welcome to HCM.
This is Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta answering your query.

I understand your concern.
First of all, operative management is the definitive management. Waiting for 1year for a surgery is very weird. This is a very important case and should be dealt quickly. Contact them regularly for operation.
Meanwhile, adjust his position to a comparatively comfortable posture, you can give him oxygen inhalation and also some beta agonists like salbutamol or terbutaline for bronchodilatation. It will help him breathe without much difficulty. If none works, tracheostomy maybe indicated. But surgery is the mainstay of treatment.

Hope this was helpful.
Contact me for further queries.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Swarnava Dattagupta