Ask a Urologist   »  

Suggest treatment for enlarged prostate and frequent urination

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
up all night urinating for the past four days...enlarged prostate controlled by tamulosin.....urine is clear......doctor says nothing wrong with my kidneys....constant back ache due to a fracture in vertebrae............spouse insists my skin smells like urine...help!
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
`Needs to be evaluated.

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have dribbling of urine all night since 4 days,You have been taking Tomsulosin for enlarged prostate.

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Have you done Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen and pelvis recently to see status of Enlarged prostate ?
2) Do you get pain in abdomen? or Do you have sensation of fullness of bladder?
3) Do you have urgency to pass urine?

Your symptoms are mostly due to Chronic Retention of Urine with Over Flow Incontinence.

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine Routine and Culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis with specific mention of pre and post void urine volume.

If it is embarrassing your daily life I would suggest you to put urethral catheter to drain the bladder continuously so that you will not need to go to pass urine frequently.

Further treatment will depend upon the results of tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,
I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.