Suggest treatment for enlarged lymph nodes

Gastroenterologist
Question
Since may I had enlarged lymph nodes they don't hurt at all. I had bv and I have hemerriods. Recently I hat a cat scan done and it came back normal. I was told I had a cyst by one doctor and I was told that I had swollen lymph nodes by another. I also did an abnormalities blood test. Also came back normal. Now I'm on an amoxicillin for a week. I have no abnormal discharge. Just discomfort from the hemerriods. Which have been checked twice in the pass two weeks by the doctor and she said to eat better. I haven't been sick since the lymph nodes swelled up. I'm so confused and worried.

Can bv be the cause of my swollen lymph nodes? Or even strep from shaving. I'm lost please help.
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
If small, no need to worry about lymph nodes.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Ms Willis,
What is the size of the lymph nodes and where is their location? If they are less than one cms in size and in the groin, then you need not be worried.

regarding your hemorrhoids, I would suggest you to increase fibre content in your diet. You can also take a fibre supplement for 2 to 3 weeks which will help with the discomfort from the hemorrhoids.

Hope this helps.

Dr Samir Patil

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for enlarged lymph nodes 49 minutes later
They may be a little more then 1 cm but less then 2cm. I was told to put hot compression on it. It has been there for months. They don't hurt just there. Can it be related to recurring bv

They are in the groin 2 in the crease of my leg. Hard but move able. The other on my right side not as hard but move able.

Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sounds harmless

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,
By your description the lymphnodes do not appear to be large enough to be of concern. These nodes in the groin could be enlarged due to various cause like previous minor genital infections fungal or bacterial. Did your doctor say it was hard? For a doctor hard means the consistency of a rock. If not you have nothing to worry. Just keep a watch on the size.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for enlarged lymph nodes 8 minutes later
They didn't say it was hard. What kind of bacterial/fungal infection would make it enlarge.

Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
like candidiasis or a trauma or minor injury

Detailed Answer:
Even a minor infection in the past like candidiasis or a trauma or minor injury to the foot can cause enlargement of the nodes in the groin. As soon as they are not painfull I wouldn't think of an ongoing infection.
Dr Samir Patil