Suggest treatment for enlarged lymph node near the abdominal area

Dr. Ashish Verma

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: For a few months I have been having minor upper abdominal pain and brushed it off. Last 2 weeks the pain has gotten worse. I went to Dr. and had blood work done. Results were normal overall except for a few minor abnormalities. That was 2 weeks ago.

Just today I noticed an enlarged lymph node on outside of skin at point where I can feel my upper left rib cage. The abdominal pain isn't really there, but I am freaking out over the lymph node.
have an abdominal ultrasound scheduled a week from Monday. Really scared I have pancreatic cancer.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
its unlikely to be lymph nodes and cancer

Detailed Answer:
HiXXXX,

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.

There are usually no lymph nodes over the rib area. It could be a sebaceous cyst or a lipoma.

And at your age pancreatic cancer is rare. So don't think about it.

Show that swelling to a physician for its evaluation, preferably to a surgeon, as a clinical examination is a must to reach a diagnosis. And if it indeed is a cyst or lipoma, it can be removed on opd basis under local anaesthesia.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 3 hours later
Thanks for your answer, but i just want to claify where ithe lumpnis.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
its mostly lipoma

Detailed Answer:

As the swelling is under the skin, so its mostly a lipoma. Its not lymph node for sure. They are not present there.

If it is not causing you any symptoms, you may leave it alone.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 1 hour later
More questions regarding my symptoms... Again in have been experiencing minor abdominal pain. I am pretty fit and active. I ran 5 miles earlier in the week. Felt okish during run not great. Next day after run the bottom of my left ribcage felt sore and brusi
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
that is expected only

Detailed Answer:

If one fine day you run for 5 miles, something that your body is not used to, then you are bound to have pain there.

To prevent this you need to built up your stamina first for the task. Running five miles in a stretch is different and running or jogging in park or gym for half an hour is different.

You need to continue your jogging or running till the point it is comfortable, that pain will ease off slowly.

If you stop it completely then when you will start again, you will face the same problem again.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 19 minutes later
Thanks again for your responses.

I have been doing some running on the treadmill prior to this and a do a lot of road cycling. My concern is the that the pain I experienced under ribcage was only on the left. The left side is the same side I have experienced all of my other "pains" and issues.

As you can probably tell I am very anxious and concerned that there is something very wrong with me. Maybe some of it is "in my head", but on the other hand I have real pains and issues that I am experiencing.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below

Detailed Answer:

Cycling and running are different. During cycling the body doesn't gets jerks as it gets while running. Its these unaccustomed jerks that strain the body ligaments that are suspending your organs leading to pain.

And there are chances that you are also having gastritis due to the stress and anxiety. So try a course of a ppi like omeprazole or pantaprazole and see if it eases of your pain. If it does, then continue it for a week.

Also avoid tea, coffee and soda drinks as these will worsen your gastritis.

And most important, reduce your anxiety levels. There is nothing wrong in you.

Dr. Ashish Verma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 34 minutes later
Thanks again for your feedback.

I have been taking omeprazole for the past two weeks mostly... I guess it has helped, and I know that anxiety does not help my situation. When I noticed the lump it really put me over the top from an anxiety stand point. Just trying to calm my fears that I don't have C.

I do have an ultrasound scheduled in a week, and am hoping all goes well with that.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
all will be well

Detailed Answer:

Don't think of cancer at your age. Even we don't think of it at this age.

Be relaxed. Continue omeprazole and follow the diet restrictions as told earlier. You may take omeprazole twice a day for a week and then reduce it to once a day for two more weeks. Take it on empty stomach, one hour before meal.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 18 minutes later
Ok. I will try...

It is easier said than done to not think of C at my age.... Part of what has gotten me is that I have had two co-workers who had/have cancer in the past 2 years. I work in a professional office setting of 150 people and wonder if there is something in the environment here that has caused this.

One is 50 and was just recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. The other was 40 and has since passed with cancer of the esophagus.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
see below

Detailed Answer:

As you are a non smoker and not a heavy drinker with no family history of cancer, so need not worry at this age.

And worrying is not going to help you, even if you had any risk factors. Its not going to change anything. Simply you will not be able to enjoy your present. So enjoy your present, this will help to reduce your stress and anxiety. And will help with your gastritis.

And regarding the environment, in office setup, there are no carcinogens. Such thing are present in industrial areas.

Dr. Ashish Verma
Follow up: Dr. Ashish Verma 28 hours later
Ok. I called my dr. in regard to anxiety and he gave me a prescription for alprazolam .25mg. I have taken 3 beginning yesterday.

Other issue I have noticed on an off is a light headed feeling when I get up quickly. I did eat a lot of sugary donuts this morning. Since then I have eaten a sandwich. I have experienced this sensation in the past.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Verma 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
looks like mild orthostatic hypotension

Detailed Answer:

Feeling dizziness after getting up quickly is a common symptom and usually doesn't warrents treatment unless you have any one of the following-

1- dizziness lasting long (more than a few minutes)
2- recurrent episodes (not occasional)
3- unconsciousness of any duration.

This is called orthostatic hypotension. It occurs due to pooling of blood in the lower extremities when you get up suddenly, giving very less timevto the body to prevent that by increasing the tone of the blood vessels to prevent their dilatation, leading to pooling.

This momentarily reduces the blood volume reaching the heart, causing fall in blood pressure, and leading to dizziness for the time your body corrects this.

I would suggest that you get your blood pressure checked both in lying down and standing position to see the amount of difference and consult a physician if the difference is more.

Hope i have been helpful.

Dr. Ashish Verma

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D