• question-icon

Suggest treatment for enlarged lymph node in neck

Posted on Thu, 16 Jun 2016 in Lump
Question: Hello Dr

I have an enlarged lymph node in back of my neck. This is there for 3 months. Its not painful. This started when i pressed this spot very hard while looking for some head follicles. I took a blood test and its normal. I don't have any symptoms like fever, cough, breathlessness, night sweat etc. I have very mild headache(@ my forehead).. Is it possible lymp node stays enlarged for 3 months?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Enlarged lymph nodes

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns

You have noticed a Lymph node enlargement for the past 3 months. This is actually very common and is not anything pathological. Since you blood work is all normal and there are no additional lymph nodes there is nothing to be concerned about. A lymph node maybe enlarged from chronic inflammation of your scalp like an infected hair follicle.

The other thing is that this lymph node may not even be a lymph node but a sebaceous cyst. These cysts are extremely common on the scalp, are non painful and do not pose any risk. Sebaceous cysts are oil glands in the skin that gets blocked of and grows under the skin. You should never try to rupture them as they can cause infection and large skin scaring. They only treatment is excision but only if it is infected or disfiguring.

In summary
1. Lymph nodes benign and not worrisome
2. Sebaceous cyst benign and not requiring treatment or excision

I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 22 hours later
Thanks dr.. I would appreciate your comments on attached CTreport.
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 20 hours later
Brief Answer:
CT scan results neck

Detailed Answer:
I reviewed your report and the report does mention your lymph nodes but that they are not pathological. By the outward appearance the lymph nodes are a normal reaction and not anything dangerous. There are no signs of cancer or lymphoma. There would be a much different appearance on CT scan.

The other thing is that your neck has some early osteophytes or arthritic changes in your neck. If you have some general neck pain this is the probable cause. There is no additional treatment other than regular exercise and if needed massage therapy or physical therapy.
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 14 minutes later
Thanks dr. Do i need to look for that particular node? Is there a chances that could turn cancerous ?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
unlikely to change to cancer

Detailed Answer:
These type of lymph nodes are very common. There is virtually no chance these lymph nodes will change to cancer. The lymph node may increase and decrease in size depending on your bodies stress levels and any colds or infections you maybe experiencing. This is all normal and to be expected.
Follow up: Dr. Ronald Schubert 4 minutes later
I really appreciate your time dr.

One last questio Dr. Is these lymph node shrink? or will it stay like this for ever?
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 27 hours later
Brief Answer:
Unsure

Detailed Answer:
The lymph nodes may recede but they may not. It is hard to determine what will happen in the future. I would think with time they will recede.
Dr. Ronald Schubert