Suggest treatment for emotional thinking

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2015
Dec 2015

Psychologist
Question
I have a problem of giving up to situations in my life. Had a word with local Psychologist, and he gave me the below problems in my personality:

1) Differential problem.
2) Cognitive Vs Emotive Behaviour.
3) Magnifying the problem.
4) Thinking Emotionally.

He suggested me CBT Cognitive Behavioural Therapy . I am more comfortable with online psychological help. Can you give me some pointers which I can follow to overcome this problem?

I am already taking a meditation course called Bramhavidya and it's helping me out.

Thanks,
XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Relationship

Answered by Dr. K. V. Anand 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Nice to meet you here, at HCM

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX
Welcome to HCM
Thanks for asking the query
We understand your concerns.

I am to understand that you talked to a local psychologist regarding your "giving up to situations in your life" and the psychologist suggested CBT. Also he gave you four problems you should tackle in your life and they are:

1) Differential problem.
2) Cognitive Vs Emotive Behaviour.
3) Magnifying the problem.
4) Thinking Emotionally.

I sincerely hope that your psychologist must have explained what all these problems are. In my experience, the above problems are available with almost every young adult especially in XXXXXXX That is because, young adults in XXXXXXX are supposed to adjust with developmental tasks which are cultural, social, career, family related and over and above identify themselves in the society, family, gender differences and self. Such a development task makes the young adult a near perfect personality apt for the society.

Secondly, we learn things from experience. So many people (around 90%) lack the courage to start a new thing for fear of failure they might face. Others (just 5%) approach the problem with enthusiasm. The third 5% do not have any decision. You could be coming in the first 90% which is very common people. They approach things with skepticism, learn from other people's experiences, and according to their own perception, go forward or fall backward.

I sincerely think that you are a perfect common man in XXXXXXX context. If you want to be the "fire in the belly" personality, I am sorry, your personality cannot be changed by any means, not even CBT.

But your attitude towards looking at things can be changed. You can be more positive in perception.

If you are unable to continue with some situations, that could be because you are not perfect at it. To become perfect in any activity or anything, you need to do it again and again. Once you do any venture again and again, you shall learn how to do it perfectly.

Meditation is always good to keep yourself relaxed and refreshed. You should learn to sustain that through meditation. You should also learn to streamline your thinking and lifestyle. CBT should help you out in that aspect.

I can provide you CBT techniques tailor made for you. But the information given by you is not enough. I need examples about your problem. Give me at least three examples. Your career, family life, general well being, friends, sympathizers etc. Also include any other details you want to include. Be as detailed as possible.

Nice to meet you here,
God bless you.