Suggest treatment for elevated white blood cell count when diagnosed with adenomyosis

Dr. Hardik Sanghvi

Hematologist

Posted on Thu, 22 Sep 2016 in Blood Disorders
Question: I lost a lot of blood due to severe adenomyosis and required 3 blood transfusions and emergency surgery & hysterectomy. My red blood count was 7 when normal is 12 -15. The trans brought me up to 10. However, my white blood cell count was elevated as well. Does white blood cell count increase with this condition?

How long will it take to recover
Answered by Dr. Hardik Sanghvi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Slight elevation of WBC is common in anemia.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear
I have gone through your question. I can understand your concern.

You have severe blood loss due to adenomyosis and it leads to anemia.

Slight elevation of wbc count is common in anemia. Its body's natural reaction/response. So don't worry about high WBC count.

If you don't have any fever or infection then no treatment is required. It will come back to normal by itself. Repeat your WBC count after 2 week.

Hope I have answered your question. if you have any doubts then feel free to ask me. I will be happy to answer.

Thanks for using health care magic. Wish you a very good health.

Brief Answer:
Within two weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, dear

Most of the time it is recovered within a week or two after correction of anemia.

So don't worry much about slight increase in wbc count. If there is too high wbc count then we need to search other causes. Otherwise it's OKAY.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee