Suggest treatment for elevated thyroid peroxidase

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I have greatly elevated TPO but my thyroid function is normal. I have some symptons of underactive thyroid and have now been told I have raise cholesterol so now on statis. I have read up and hashimotos and raised cholesterol go hand in hand. why am I not being offered thyroxine and is there anything more I can do to stop this happening as ultimately I am assuming my thyroid will stop producing? all very confusing
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thyroid

Detailed Answer:
I follow what you are saying.

Thyroid matters can be complex for the non-expert.

Your doctor has done what I would have done as well.

Even though your antibodies are positive, the fact that the TSH is normal it means that up until now the thyroid antibodies have not yet fully damaged your thyroid gland to an extent where it is not making enough thyroid hormone.

So the normal TSH indicates that your thyroid gland is making adequate amounts of thyroid hormone at the present time. And so thyroxine is not necessary at the moment.

Furthermore, sometimes thyroid antibodies can be 'false positive' ie they test positive in the blood test but the individual does not really have Hashimoto's (thyroiditis). In such cases too, treatment with thyroxine is inappropriate.
However this occurs in a minority of the cases.

So the best way to know if you truly have Hashimoto's thyroiditis is to see your doctor, preferably an endocrinologist regularly who will examine you thoroughly, and order appropriate tests over time, to determine if and when you need treatment with thyroxine.

Follow up: Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 1 hour later
many thanks for your response. I am seeing the endo team in a couple of months to talk mainly about my rise in cholesterol. My GP did state that when presented with someone with high cholesterol, they normally check straight away for underactive thyroid. My TPO is over 600 so something is going on! I just wish I could do something to reverse this situation. Hashimotos runs in the family as my mother had it but back in her day they removed the thyroid completely. In your opinion, is there anything I can do to reduce the TPO and stop it attacking my thyroid? I don't smoke or drink, losing weight and pretty healthy.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
I understand what you are trying to state here.

There is no known medical or non-medical treatment/ approach to modify the Hashimoto's disease process. So as per current knowledge there is no way to prevent the TPO from attacking the thyroid.
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist