Suggest treatment for elevated systolic blood pressure
My cholesterol was tested two weeks ago, result 169, HDL 53, LDL 100. I take 5 mg simvastatin and am concerned about the side effects.
My fasting glucose result was 108 mg/dL. Can that be reduced, if so, how?
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns
I see you are concerned about your elevated blood pressure. The normal blood pressure should be no more than 140 on the top number and no more than 90 on the bottom. You have an elevated systolic blood pressure and should be addressed. Fisrt I would recommend a low salt diet, regular exercise and home monitoring of you pressure. I would have you take your blood pressure at home daily for the next 2 weeks. If your numbers continue to be elevated then see you medical provider. High blood pressure puts you at risk for heart attack and stroke.
Your cholesterol numbers are good and at goal. The side effects from simvastatin can be muscle pain and some loss of memory. But the benefit of reduce heart attacks may out weight the risk and side effects. That is something you need to discuss with your medical provider
Your Blood sugar is good. There is no reason to try to change this. Lowering your blood sugar will not benefit your health and reduce your risk of diabetes. So no change here.
I hope I answered your question. Please contact us again if you have any additional questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Erratic blood pressure treatment
- Treatment for 18884 blood pressure
- Treatment for high blood pressure
- Suggest treatment for rising blood pressure
- Feeling dizzy elevated blood pressure treatment
- Suggest treatment for high blood pressure
- Treatment for low blood pressure
- Blood pressure ayurvedic treatment
- Elevated systolic blood pressure causes
- Lemon as a blood pressure treatment