Suggest treatment for elevated homocysteine and TSH levels

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: i have high homocysteine level upto 54 and deficiency of vitamin b and D,and slightly elevated tsh witha reading of 5.4 my doctor has adviced me thronorm 25 mg to be taken once everyday,homocyst to be taken at night everyday for 3 month d rise tab to be taken once in a week,and nurokind plus to be taken daily please suggest with this medics how much time i can get the normal levels in all
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
In my opinion, after few weeks of therapy , you can get the normal levels in all

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for asking.
I have gone through your query and the attached reports.

Homocysteine is an amino acid and breakdown product of protein metabolism that, when present in high concentrations, has been linked to an increased risk of heart attacks and strokes.

Optimal homocysteine levels are below 10 to 12

An inadequate intake of B-complex group of vitamins, as well as genetic factors that affect the body’s absorption and use of folic acid, can lead to elevated homocysteine levels. Other contributors to elevated homocysteine levels include stress and caffeine consumption.

So, to lower the homocysteine levels, i'd recommend to increase your intake of B vitamins, particularly Folate(400 micrograms of folic acid in addition to what you might get from your diet), and avoid any form of stress.

With the Vit-B supplements (Nurokind) after some weeks, you will have normal homocysteine levels. Anyway if you take even the folate supplement, i'm sure you will have good results in even less time.

There's also Vit-D deficiency as per your reports, so please continue with the Vit-D3 supplementation as you're already taking.. additionally, take vit-D rich foods and start getting daily sunlight exposure for about 15-20min (preferably during the morning times)..

About the elevated TSH level, it is necessary to repeat the thyroid tests (TSH, free T4) after 6 weeks of Thyronorm therapy to see if the TSH is normalized. In my opinion you will have good results in lesser time only because your actual TSH level is only slightly elevated.

Hope i have clarified your doubts. If you have other questions, feel free and ask. I will be happy to help.

Wish you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Elona Xhardo 10 hours later
Thank you doctor, I will do as per your guidelines
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
You're wellcome.

Detailed Answer:
Ok
and let me know the results after some weeks.

P.S : I'm sure you will have normal results.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj