Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

168 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for elevated cholesterol,SGOT and SGPT levels?

Answered by
Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 492 Questions

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: HI

The issues are
I am having higher level of TG Cholesterol (550), S.GOT(122), S.GPT(79), S Alkaline phosphate (283), Fasting Blood sugar -119, Blood Pressure(140/100). Weight-113, Height-5.8". I don't feel active, I have become reactive in nature. My Ejaculation volume has come down drastically.

I visited many doctors, all of them told me that, its all because i am overweight.

Kindly advise treatment
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
High triglycerides.

Detailed Answer:
I can understand your concern.

I have gone through all your reports.
All results normal except
SGOT 122 : elevated and SGPT 79.
Serum alkaline phosphatase 283: Slightly elevated.
It is mostly due to fatty liver which is due to your high cholesterol levels.

Routine urine: Normal

RFT: Normal

CBC: Normal. Mild ansiocytosis and mild macrocytosis it could be due to mild vitamin B 12 Deficiency. It is not worrisome. I would suggest you take Vitamin B 12 tablets regularly.

And finally Lipid profile
S.Cholestrol 231: Slightly elevated
Triglycerides:550 : High
VLDL(Bad cholesterol) 110: Elevated.
LDL (bad cholesterol):within limits.

Blood sugar :Fasting blood glucose on higher side hence I would suggest you get postprandial blood glucose test done.

I would like to know
When did you start taking medication?

The first mode of treatment in your case would be weight loss since you are over weight.
Life style and dietary changes are important to reduce cholesterol levels, liver enzymes and blood pressure as well.
Physical exercise or brisk walk for 30 minutes a day utmost important. Once you start doing exercise your cholesterol levels will start to decrease and you will start feeling better.
Eat healthy vegetables and fruits.
Eat fish and nuts like almonds, walnuts which contains polyunsaturated fatty acids which lowers you bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
Drink plenty of water.
Avoid alcohol if you consume. Avoid smoking if you does.
Avoid late night food. Eat 2 hours before bed.
Get enough sleep.

If you are taking medication since long time then I would suggest you visit a cardiologist for clinical examination and to switch over to Statins(Lipid lower drugs). If you have started recently then continue medication and repeat the test after 2 months.

Along with medication you have to follow aforementioned suggestion. Definitely you will see good results. You need not worry

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 53 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your response, it is certainly helpful. Please see below my medication for past 1 year.

Telmekind 40 once in morning,
Lipicard 160 twice daily,
dulane 20 1 at night,
colapsa retard 200 twice daily
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue medication.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for your information.
If you blood pressure well controlled with current medication then you can continue the medication.If not, visit your treating doctor,Doctor may change the dosage or will add one more anti hypertensive along with current medication and Doctor may start Statins(Lipid lower drugs).
Follow aforementioned suggestions and repeat your blood tests after 2 months.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Fatty liver

doctor1 MD

I am a 70 year old female. I have had IBS most of my life, but one year ago I began to be severely constipated and only having a bowel movement every seven days and only then because I have had to resort to using a laxative. I did add more fibre to my diet and am trying to drink more water. The only blood I have noticed seems to be on the outside of the stool, therefore, I think it s only because of the colon lining being irritated. I have abdominal pain everyday, which is sometimes generalized, but most recently the pain in my left lower quadrant has become quite intense. In the past month I started taking ClearLax , which is similar to Restoralax and have increased fibre and drinking more prune juice, hence, bowel movements are more frequent and softer. Having said that the pain still persists. I also experience what would seem like liver pain which seems to be in the entire liver area and is quite intense sometimes. An xray last year showed a fatty liver. I was referred to a general surgeon in Dec. 2013, and he did not examine me at the time, but booked me for a colonoscopy which I can t get an appt. for until June. He also has booked me for an MRI, but the wait time for that is extremely long, could be a year, if I m lucky. As another opinion, do you feel that this could possibly be something serious.

doctor1 MD

Hi, I did a liver function test and found out that the values for SGOT/AST=126 on a scale of up to 40U/L.37c, SGPT/GPT=143 and GGT =129 I had a negative hepatitis B and C result respectively and was placed on livolin for 60 days.
Can You please advice me when to go for another Liver function test to see if there is any improvement.
I stopped drinking for about six years ago .
I equally did a scan and was told by the doctor its a fatty liver condition.

doctor1 MD

This is what my test results say. I am freaking out as a friend of mine just lost a kidney to cancer. I can't get an apt for a urologist for 2 weeks. Should I be worried? The right kidney measures 10.8 cm in longitudinal dimension. The left kidney measures 10 cm in longitudinal dimension. Several calcifications are seen in the left kidney, measuring up to 5 mm in the interpolar region, compatible with nonobstructing calculi. There is a probable parapelvic cyst in the upper pole of the left kidney, measuring 9 mm. There is no hydronephrosis. There is no intra-abdominal ascites. The imaged proximal portions of the aorta and IVC are unremarkable. IMPRESSION Nonobstructing left renal calculi. No hydronephrosis. Hepatic steatosis.

doctor1 MD

before i was diagnosed of a non-alcoholic fatty liver, and after 3 mon ths, it was lowered in my last lab test results, now i felt uncomfortable in my left loin (on anf off). what it could be? sometimes my left eye have qutie pain (but not really pain). thanks

doctor1 MD

Hi, Can you please check my blood, ecg and usg reports and let me know on which areas should I take care? Also, any suggestions on any specific diet to control the problem areas and medications if any?

doctor1 MD

I did ultrasound , doctor found few cholesterol polyps in gallbladder and fatty acids in liver . So as per him it is not dangerous. Only thing I need to change my life style and maintain a proper diet. I want to check know more about my condition....

doctor1 MD

You can refer the above case of mine as i had already talk with you. Now i want to share some information. I had been getting pains under right side under ribs and upper abdomen. 1 month back - I had throat pain, body pain and mild fever so i had...