Suggest treatment for elevated cholesterol,SGOT and SGPT levels?

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: HI

The issues are
I am having higher level of TG Cholesterol (550), S.GOT(122), S.GPT(79), S Alkaline phosphate (283), Fasting Blood sugar -119, Blood Pressure(140/100). Weight-113, Height-5.8". I don't feel active, I have become reactive in nature. My Ejaculation volume has come down drastically.

I visited many doctors, all of them told me that, its all because i am overweight.

Kindly advise treatment
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
High triglycerides.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I can understand your concern.

I have gone through all your reports.
LFT:
All results normal except
SGOT 122 : elevated and SGPT 79.
Serum alkaline phosphatase 283: Slightly elevated.
It is mostly due to fatty liver which is due to your high cholesterol levels.

Routine urine: Normal

RFT: Normal

CBC: Normal. Mild ansiocytosis and mild macrocytosis it could be due to mild vitamin B 12 Deficiency. It is not worrisome. I would suggest you take Vitamin B 12 tablets regularly.

And finally Lipid profile
S.Cholestrol 231: Slightly elevated
Triglycerides:550 : High
VLDL(Bad cholesterol) 110: Elevated.
LDL (bad cholesterol):within limits.

Blood sugar :Fasting blood glucose on higher side hence I would suggest you get postprandial blood glucose test done.

I would like to know
When did you start taking medication?

The first mode of treatment in your case would be weight loss since you are over weight.
Life style and dietary changes are important to reduce cholesterol levels, liver enzymes and blood pressure as well.
Physical exercise or brisk walk for 30 minutes a day utmost important. Once you start doing exercise your cholesterol levels will start to decrease and you will start feeling better.
Eat healthy vegetables and fruits.
Eat fish and nuts like almonds, walnuts which contains polyunsaturated fatty acids which lowers you bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol.
Drink plenty of water.
Avoid alcohol if you consume. Avoid smoking if you does.
Avoid late night food. Eat 2 hours before bed.
Get enough sleep.

If you are taking medication since long time then I would suggest you visit a cardiologist for clinical examination and to switch over to Statins(Lipid lower drugs). If you have started recently then continue medication and repeat the test after 2 months.

Along with medication you have to follow aforementioned suggestion. Definitely you will see good results. You need not worry

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 53 minutes later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your response, it is certainly helpful. Please see below my medication for past 1 year.

Telmekind 40 once in morning,
Lipicard 160 twice daily,
dulane 20 1 at night,
colapsa retard 200 twice daily
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue medication.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for your information.
If you blood pressure well controlled with current medication then you can continue the medication.If not, visit your treating doctor,Doctor may change the dosage or will add one more anti hypertensive along with current medication and Doctor may start Statins(Lipid lower drugs).
Follow aforementioned suggestions and repeat your blood tests after 2 months.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T