Suggest treatment for elevated blood sugar levels

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Diabetes
Question: My mom-in-law has diabetes since the last 8 years and has never been in control. Her recent readings came out pretty high. The report shows 246 on fasting and 358 post eating. Also, she complains that she is not able to sleep properly from the past 6 months.
For now, she has been using Glycomate GP-2 for diabetes. She also has high bp and is in control. She has been Telmekind-H for maintaining BP.
She drinks coffee 4-5 times a day and eats white rice once a day in small quantity.
Please advice on the diabetes levels and a proper diet to maintain it. Also, is it needed to inject insulin with these high diabetes levels?
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need evaluation.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.
Noted your concern.

For better opinion I want to know more about her
- Age.
- Height & weight.
- Frequency of taking Tab Glycomet GP2 and other medicines.
- Recent blood tests results if done.

In such a case I usually suggest following evaluation beside Fasting & post-prandial blood sugar levels.
- HbA1c
- Lipid Profile
- Complete blood count.
- Renal Function Test including Urea, Creatinine, Electrolytes.
- Liver Function Test including Bilirubin, Liver enzymes.
- Ultra TSH
- Urine examination including ketone.
- ECG.

Also detailed physical examination is also important.

Get back with above details.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj