Suggest treatment for elevated blood sugar levels

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Internal Doctor Category
Question: My mom-in-law has diabetes since the last 8 years and has never been in control. Her recent readings came out pretty high. The report shows 246 on fasting and 358 post eating. Also, she complains that she is not able to sleep properly from the past 6 months.

For now, she has been using Glycomate GP-2 for diabetes. She also has high bp and is in control. She has been Telmekind-H for maintaining BP.

She drinks coffee 4-5 times a day and eats white rice once a day in small quantity.

Please advice on the diabetes levels and a proper diet to maintain it. Also, is it needed to inject insulin with these high diabetes levels?

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
HbA1C levels need to be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi

HbA1C levels are needed to confirm long term sugar control. Is she taking medicines regularly? You have said that her sugar levels have been out of control. Yes, insulin can be added to the current regimen after getting HbA1C levels. The fasting sugar levels are very high.

Avoid sugary foods as much as possible. Sugary foods like sweetened juices, fruits, yogourt, chocolates, sweets, breads, sandwiches, potatoes, sweet potatoes are just a few to name. Milk, unsweetened juices and bottled water are good alternatives.

Regular exercise is needed like daily walk.
A yoga technique called as yog nidra is type of muscle relaxation and helpful in getting sleep.

Hope it helps. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj