• question-icon

Suggest treatment for elevated blood sugar levels

Posted on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Diabetes
Question: Hi doctor am XXXX 28 yrs my blood sugar level fasting is 143mg/dl .And after my blood sugar pp is 195 mg /dl ..How to recover from it.my HbA1C is 6.4. my weight is 82 kg.please advise me to recover from it ...
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Your blood sugar is high enough to start medication. Consult diabetologist and an endocrinologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thank you for posting your question.

I have gone through your query carefully and I appreciate your initiative to address the issue.

First, both your fasting sugar levels and postprandial sugars are high enough to require medicines to be started at the earliest.

Other issue worth noting is your weight and your age.

You are quite young so the reason for diabetes needs to be carefully studied and found out.

Similarly, your weight is also of serious concern.

Considering all these factors, it is reasonable to suspect either thyroid deficiency or pituitary insufficiency complicating insulin deficiency.

So, in my opinion you do need a thorough evaluation by an endocrinologist and a diabetologist to look for the reason behind your weight, and your high blood sugar levels.

Meanwhile, you must reduce empty carbohydrates and increase the percentage of complex carbohydrates in your diet. You will need to discuss with a dietitian to formulate a specific diet for your needs.

You must also start exercising regularly that you will increase gradually.

And you must be started on anti diabetic medications to control the blood sugar levels, this can only be done upon further investigation and by a doctor who has examined you in person, so I request you to schedule an appointment with an endocrinologist and diabetologist at the earliest.

I hope I have been able to answer your question to your satisfaction, however, if you were to have any doubts, I am here to help you.

Warm regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Yogesh D