Suggest treatment for elevated blood glucose levels
Need more details first
Hello Ms XXXXXXX
Thank you for your query. I understand your concerns.
Fasting blood glucose values of 216 and post meal glucose values of 304 are indeed high. They may not be dangerously high, but are still high enough. The ideal blood glucose values should be FPG< 110 mg/dl and 2 hour PPG < 170 mg/dl.
Your HbA1C which is the average blood glucose over the past 3 months is also high at 8.8%. Ideal HbA1C value should be less than 6.5%.
The reason I have mentioned the above ideal values is to make you aware of the targets that you need to reach to attain proper blood glucose control.
Yes, you are right in wanting to try to reduce your glucose levels by diet and exercise alone. But whether it can be completely possible or not depends on various factors. I would be able to advise you further once you reply to the questions mentioned below:
1) You are aged 60 years, isn’t it?
2) What is your height and weight?
3) Do you normally do any exercise like walking, swimming, or any other physical activity? How long do you exercise and how many days in a week do you exercise?
4) How is your diet? Can you mention is short what do you take for breakfast, lunch, dinner, mid-morning and mid evening snack? How many cups of tea/coffee you drink in a day and if you use sugar in it? Do you like sweets? How many sweets you eat (if any) and how many times a month you eat sweets? Do you eat out/go out to parties or functions – if so how many times a month?
5) Pardon me for asking you this – do you smoke or consume alcohol?
6) Are you stressed? Any worries of any sort? Do you sleep well at night?
7) Do you have any other medical problems like high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc.
8) Are you on any other medication? Can you kindly mention all the medicines that you are currently taking?
9) Does anyone in your family have Diabetes, heart attack, stroke/paralysis/cerebral haemorrhage etc?
If you can kindly reply to above questions, I can advise you further.
I look forward for your reply.
Dr Sunita Sayammagaru
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest suitable treatment for little elevated tsh levels
- Treatment for high glucose
- Glucose intolerance treatment
- Impaired glucose intolerance treatment
- Suggest treatment for high blood glucose levels
- Slightly elevated blood glucose and treatment
- Glucose in urine treatment
- Glucose toxicity treatment
- Impaired glucose tolerance treatment
- Suggest treatment for elevated psa levels