Suggest treatment for elevated alkaline phosphatase levels

Dr. Ronald Schubert

Posted on Thu, 27 Aug 2015 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I am a 51 yr old female in ok health but I have high blood pressure, degenerative disc disease and anxiety issues. I take on a regular basis: 2 x day lortab 10/325, 1 x day xanaflex 4 mg, 1 x/day lisinopril 10/12.5, 1 x/day prevastatin 20 mg, 1 x/day ambien 10 mg, 1 x/day lexapro 20 mg and 1-2x/day as needed Xanax .5 mg, one aspirin per day. Just had blood XXXXXXX and was told that I need additional liver test bc my alkaline and phosphatase levels are elevated to 158 and should be in the 39-117 range. I am 5'3, weigh 213 lbs and cholesterol was overall 213. HDL was 45 (normal), triglycerides 143 (ok) and LDL high at 139. I'm worried that I may have something really bad going on w my liver. Drs do not think they can operate on my back bc I have herniated disc issues all up and down my back from an accident. I suffer from depression and anxiety and chronic insomnia. I smoke 1 pck of cigarettes a day, which I am preparing to quit. I have gone through menopause and have not had periods in over 3 years. Otherwise, I am fairly healthy but do not exercise daily. Can you give me some perspective on this liver elevation? My blood pressure usually runs 140/80 Thank you in advance
Answered by Dr. Ronald Schubert 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
toxic levels of acetaminophen

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for contacting HCM with your health care concerns
You recently had lab work that shows an elevated alkaline phosphatase. This is a ver nonspecific marker for liver disease and may be caused by numerous things including any one of your medications. The most likely is the acetaminophen from your lortab. I would recommend taking with your doctor and switching it to a formulation that dose not have acetaminophen in it. Also if you drink any alcohol at all this in combination of the acetaminophen is highly liver toxic.

The other cause for an elevated alk phos is just being over weight with high cholesterol causing something called XXXXXXX This is when fat is depostied into the liver and causes liver tissue to die off. The best thin here is to lose weight and it is the only way to reduce XXXXXXX

Your other medications could also cause elevated alk phos but it would be impractical to stop them.

My recommendation for you is the following
1. discuss changing lortab to something without acetaminophen
2. reduce weight
3. follow labs and any additional imaging studies.

I can reassure you that the level of elevation in alk phos is not very high and not dangerous

I hope I answered your question. Please contact HCM again with your health care concerns