Suggest treatment for elevated TSH levels and vitamin D deficiency
Could you please advise what should I be doing next?
Hypothyroidism - start on medications
Welcome to HCM. I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
You are having hypothyroidism. That means your thyroid is not producing enough thyroid hormones. Since you are having only mild hypothyroidism, the T3 and T4 are normal. We usually start on medications once TSH go above 10. So you need to be on thyroid medications (Levothyroxine 25 mcg once daily in empty stomach) even though your TSH is only slightly above 10.
Additional tests you may do are anti thyroid antibodies (Anti TPO and anti TG antibody - blood tests ) and an ultrasound of neck to see the cause and extend of thyroid damage.
Hope I have answered your question. If you have ant further questions I will be happy to help you.
Dr Ajish TP
Hi Dr Ajish, do you think vitamin D deficiency can lead to hypothyroidism? Given 25-OH Vit D=19.4 for me, could you please recommend dosage for Vit D3 supplement?
Welcome back. Sorry for the delay in answering.
1. Vitamin D deficiency is not a cause of hypothyroidism.
2. The dose of vitamin D is 60,000 iu weekly once x 8 weeks as replacement and once in 2 months there after as maintenance dose.
It is available as sachets, tablets or syrup of 60,000 IU single dose preparations. Popular brands are D Rise, Torflash, Arachitol nano, Vit D3 60K etc
Regards. Dr Ajish TP
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Vitamin d deficiency ayurveda treatment
- Severe vitamin d deficiency levels
- Homeopathic treatment for vitamin d deficiency
- Vitamin d deficiency treatment emedicine
- Is drisdol used in the treatment of vitamin d deficiency?
- Keloid treatment with vitamin d deficiency
- Vitamin d deficiency levels
- Treatment of vitamin d deficiency
- Suggest treatment for vitamin d deficiency
- Vasculitis vitamin d deficiency treatment
- Suggest remedy for stress induced diabetes
- Does thyroid induce sudden weight gain during pregnancy?
- Suggest treatment for severe cold and chronic pain in lower back
- Suggest treatment for hashimotos thyroiditis
- What does light vaginal bleeding post Mifegest kit usage indicate?
- Suggest dosage of Eltroxine with TSH level of 10
- Suggest treatment for hypothyroidism
- Suggest ways to maintain healthy blood sugar levels
- What causes low blood sugar level?
- What causes swollen lymph nodes on neck with normal CT scan?