Suggest treatment for elevated SGOT and SGPT levels and fatty liver

Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My hepatic enzymes SGOT, SGPT are slightly elevated (around 60). CT scan showed that I had
fatty liver. What should I do to improve my liver condition?
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Reduce or stop alcohol intake, cautious drug consumption, eat green vegetables, exercise daily..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query to HCM,

It is not rare to have raised trans-aminases in fatty liver. Also values at 60 (less than twice the normal values) are not a major worry. I think your liver function is still properly intact.

I might think you have done tests to check for Hepatitis B and C infections for these could raise SGOT and SGPT levels.

I think to do not is not to worry much and adopt simple liver preserving lifestyle measures.

Avoid excessive intake of alcohol, excessive intake of drugs like non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs and Paracetamol avoid eating lots of fats. A consistent and moderate exercise schedule could be very useful. Eat more green (vegetable and fruit).

Thanks and kind regards as I wish you the best of health, but you really need not worry much as for now.

Dr Bain

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee