• question-icon

Suggest treatment for elevated BP despite doing exercise regularly

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Sure....I have been taking my bp at home with a wrist monitor that has a 3d feature to ensure it is in the right position....over the 60 days my bp is 134/70....I am 65 years old. work out 3 to 4 times a week. and have a heart recovery rate of (145 1st minute to 118 2nd minute to 98....is my BP a problem
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for sending the question.

First of all congratulations on staying very healthy and fit. Your current activity and exercise level will help to ensure excellent longevity and quality-of-life.

Regarding your blood pressure it is slightly elevated according to current guidelines. Generally we would like to see the blood pressure and resting state below 125 systolic.

Right now your blood pressure is not in a dangerous range. I think it should be monitored regularly. You might evaluate your diet and make sure you do not have a significant amount of added salt.

I would continue gathering readings at home and share them with your primary care doctor. Sometimes a very tiny dose of blood pressure medication is needed to help achieve optimal blood pressure control.

Thank you again for sending your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist