Suggest treatment for elevated A1C levels despite being on Januvia

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Diagnosed in March with diabetes. Prescribed metformin but had to stop due to gastro problems (diarrhea). A1c had been 7.0
Started at 50mg Januvia A1c = 7.3 after 3 months.
Increased Januvia to 100mg, A1c increased to 7.7 after 3 months. (Exercise, weight, diet were same)

Today, GP added 50mg of Invokana. (Have not seen an endocrinologist.)
While insurance is paying the high price of each medication, is it unusual to be taking these two medications at the same time? I realize their mechanisms are 2 different approaches) but......
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Justified

Detailed Answer:
good day
Noted your question.
Since Januvia at the dose of 100 mg was not controlling the blood sugars adequately, adding a second drug is justified. Ideally In a Type 2 Diabetes patient, Metformin is indicated. But since you can't tolerate it, Invokana is justified. Otherwise adding a small dose Lantus (insulin ) would have been an alternate option.
Binu