Suggest treatment for edema in the feet while having a history of anorexia and bulimia
Likely liver or heart problem.
Hello and welcome,
Edema is caused by fluid retention in tissues outside of the blood vessels. Variety of disorders may present with edema in legs and abdomen. Malnutrition, medications, lymph and blood vessel disorders may cause edema but the most common causes are heart (congestive heart failure), liver (cirrhosis) and kidney problems.
Your normal urinalysis likely excludes kidney problems but alcohol abuse increases the risk of developing liver disease. In liver diseases, blood flow through the liver gets diminished causing elevated pressure in the venous system that drains to the liver. This elevated pressure in the venous system causes abdominal and leg swelling.
In heart failure similar mechanism causes edema. When the blood cannot be pumped out of the heart, blood return to the heart increases causing fluid buildup and edema.
Your blood tests can help to differentiate these disorders and identify the root cause of leg and abdominal edema. Treatment is specific to the cause. Generally includes diuretics to reduce extra fluid in the body.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for edema feet
- What is the treatment for bulimia nervosa
- Bulimia sore throat treatment
- Suggest treatment for edema of both lower legs
- Treatment for anorexia and bulimia
- Treatment and cure for bulimia nervosa
- Bulimia treatment "stimulants to treat bulimia"
- Treatment of edema in feet
- Adderall bulimia treatment
- Treatment and cure for bulimia