• question-icon

Suggest treatment for eczema

Posted on Thu, 12 Oct 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,

I have terrible psoriasis going on! I saw a dermatologist - so she put me on Betamasone Diproptronate 0.05% 2x day, for 2 wks, skip a week, then on again. Nothing is changing. I have a follow up in late Oct, but would like to know maybe what I can do in the interim. I'm using Amlactin as a moisterizer.

I'm wondering, because years ago I was diagnosed with eczema, now all of a sudden it's psoriasis? Are they similar where one turns into the other, or did I get a wrong assessment? Just curious - not taking any action other than what the doctor says. I haven't been able to show my legs in years now! So :( Thanks for any insight and thought of how to make the scars better - the active plaques better. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Add a salicylic acid ointment to the topical steroid regimen

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I am Dr. Kakkar (Dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Psoriasis may not start as classical bright red erythematous plaques with silvery/ waxy scales. Therefore initially it may be labelled as a nondescript eczema before finally it evolves into classical psoriasis.
Topical potent steroids (e.g betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% or clobetasol propionate 0.05%) are first choice topical treatment options for limited involvement with plaque psoriasis. In addition to more frequent application of the moisturizer (Amlactin), the other best thing that you can do till your scheduled appointment is to add a salicylic acid ointment (5-6%) to the steroid regimen. Salicylic acid is keratolytic and would help exfoliate scales so that the topical steroid would become more effective.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 52 minutes later
Thanks so much, Dr. Kakkar,

It's incredibly difficult with my insurance to get a dermatologist appt. Had to wait forever. Is there anything you can recommend for the hyper-pigmentation that the old scars leave? I have fair skin and they are really noticeable.

And the Amlactin is kinda helping with the itchiness, but that doesn't go away. Is there a more effective one I can get. It's OK - don't get me wrong, but just wondering. I think my skin is dryer because I have to take an antihistamine, so that's another factor.

Thank you so much for your help, I appreciate it.
Best regards,
Liz
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Regarding psoriasis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

For pigmentation I suggest you to use a moderately potent steroid e.g mometasone furoate 0.1% or fluticasone propionate 0.05% but those are prescription steroids. Perhaps what you can do is that you can dilute betamethasone dipropionate 0.05% with an equal amount of a moisturizer e.g vaseline (1:1) and use it over the dark spots, twice or thrice daily. This would help lighten the spots.
For itching I suggest you to increase the dose of antihistamine. Perhaps you can take it twice in a day rather than once daily.
If you can procure a salicylic acid ointment (5-6%) from a drug store that would be good. Use it twice a day in-between steroid applications and I am sure that your steroid would become more effective in resolving the plaques. You can also try occluding the plaques with a water proof tape or polythene strips after steroid cream application. Occlusion would allow better penetration of steroid and help resolve them faster

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 30 hours later
Hi Dr. Kakkar,

Will do! Thank you so much!
Best regards,
Liz
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing to us.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist