• question-icon

Suggest treatment for eczema on the legs

Posted on Thu, 25 May 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am 66 years old, male in good general health. I have eczema in both legs but only in the lower portion just above the feet. My father also had it at the same place. I have it for last 20 years. I apply vaseline after shower. Also I apply Fluocinonide .05 percent on alternate days plus mupirocin ointment usp 2 % on alternate days.
I went to dermatologist for checkup. She took some liquid from my eczema and tested it. Now she says I have some Staph infection. It is not serious. It is secondary infection. Primary problem is eczema.
She wants me to stop Fluocinonide and only apply mupirocin twice a day. Wants me to take anti biotics for 10 to 15 days. Does this make sense. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your dermatologist is right

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
I have gone through your history and your dermatologist is correct in saying that you can stop steroid for few days and take antibiotics for few days.
It is very common to have secondary infection with eczema.
If the eczema is moderate to severe then you can even continue flucinonide under the cover of oral antibiotics but in case of mild eczema you can stop steroids for few days as they aggravate infection.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 10 hours later
Thank you Dr Asmeet.
You have mentioned it is very common to have secondary infection with eczema. Is it necessary to take antibiotics because the infection will just return back. Also is there a antibiotic cream I can apply instead of oral antibiotics. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral antibiotics can be avoided if infection not very severe

Detailed Answer:
If the infection is not severe and you don't have much discharge from eczematous lesions or pain or swelling then oral antibiotics can be avoided.
You can apply topical antibiotic like mupirocin cream or fusidic cream on the affected areas.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 25 hours later
Thanks Dr Asmeet. Following are the results from a test of liquid on my eczema:

Final     Few Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus      
GS     Gram Stain Result:
Few Gram Positive Cocci
No White Blood Cells      
ORGANISM     MRSA

Please advise your thoughts on it --- is it mild, do I need oral antibiotics , if yes - which one for how long, can I just apply antibiotic cream - which one etc. I do not have any pain or swelling. Also not much discharge. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Usually oral antibiotics are recommended for MRSA

Detailed Answer:
For MRSA usually oral antibiotics are given like tablet linezolid 600 mg twice daily for 7 days along with application of topical antibiotic like mupirocin cream on the affected areas twice daily for 7-10 days.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist