Suggest treatment for eczema on the hands

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I have some very dry cracked skin on my hands. On the left hand in the webbing between thumb and forefinger. Also on third finger on right hand. Very painful, keeps coming back and getting progressively worse over 6 months. Seems to get worse when it gets wet. What treatment is recommended? I have pictures.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hand eczema and its management

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I have gone through your complaints as well as reviewed the attached photographs.
You seem to be having hand eczema.
It is a chronic type of eczema which can occur due to exogenous factors like soaps, detergents and water and can also be endogenous in nature due to internal sensitivity of the individual.
If I was your treating doctor I would recommend you to apply a cream containing steroid like clobetasol propionate cream on the affected areas of the hands twice daily along with frequent and liberal application of a moisturising cream containing white soft paraffin on the entire hands 3-4 times in a day.
Also take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching and pain.
Steroidal preparations are prescription drugs and you need to see the doctor in person to get them.
Besides this keep your hands moisturised, stay away from soaps, detergents and chemicals, avoid frequent washing of hands and wear gloves while washing clothes and utensils.
These measures will reduce relapses of hand eczema.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj