Suggest treatment for eczema on the hand

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi
Purple mark on left side of hand is it eczema or normal finding in skin variation. Or a rash?

Please see pics attached
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
A few more details required...

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

I went through the photos you sent in and noted the purple mark.

I need to have a few more details before running into final conclusions:
- since when did you noticed that mark?
- any special activity you did?
- weather conditions: cold at the place you live?
- exposure to chemicals? new detergents?

From what I've seen, I can say that it is related to exposure of the hands to chemicals or cold weather.

Please provide the requested information to help you further.

Thank you.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Special activity? What do you mean by that please?

I noticed it a few weeks ago, i can only see such marks under light if i look properly or in detail on my arm. I also sleep with a fleece covered duvet?

It is cold at the moment in england. I got worried thinking its a blood problem or something?I did pop into the doctor last week and no cream or ointment was given to me: how long do such things last?I have been using a new gel to have a shower in recent weeks also.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
It's skin reaction to cold weather explained below...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Special activity means outdoor activities that require energy?

So far, from what you are saying, it seems a reaction to cold weather. I believe you are Asian native, not accustomed to cold, explaining this reaction of your skin.

Actually, these last few weeks were very cold and very low temperature outside.

To me, there is no need for anything. Just keep warm. It will last as long as the cold weather will last. When temperature will get higher, you won't have them anymore.

Hope this answers your questions.
All the best.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 hours later
Ok so its not a blood disorder or anything like that?

If it doesnt go nothing to worry about?
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
It is nothing worrisome...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

So far, don't look like blood disorder more than a local skin change to environmental conditions.

However, watchful waiting strategy recommended. If it doesn't go away or other unusual symptoms will appear, I recommend to run a few lab tests like:
- complete blood count
- blood iron levels
- liver/kidney function test
- Doppler ultrasound of the blood vessels on the arms.

All the best.
Dr.Albana