Suggest treatment for eczema on cheek

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have a spot on my right cheek. It started like a pimple about 18 years ago and I have used different creams and it is still there.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload a picture

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query.

Kindly upload a clear digital Image of the lesion.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 18 minutes later
Please I have attached images
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eczematous dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I have looked at the pictures. This looks like a dry scaly patch of eczema/dermatitis. I guess it must be itchy too.

Do you have any of these patches elsewhere?like scalp, arms, legs etc

I would suggest that you apply a moderately potent topical steroid e.g mometasone furoate cream, twice daily for 2 weeks or so. It should improve remarkably in about 2 weeks.

An OTC antihistamine e.g cetrizine would help in providing symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Most people say there is hair growth. A doctor said it is a wart and recommended surgical removal.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wart is a possibility

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You do seem to have ingrown hair problem which must be causing recurrent bumps in the beard region. The creams that you tried (daktacort, fucidin are antifungal and antibacterial respectively and wont help much with this lesion).

Yes, wart is a possibility too. Since it has grown from a small pimple to existing size. Warts usually spread to surrounding areas due to autoinnoculation which is specially common in the beard region as shaving causes minor cuts and abrasions thus causing the virus to inoculate these sites of minor trauma, causing them to multiply rapidly.

-Does the lesion itch or is it asymptomatic?
-Do you have similar lesions anywhere else?I mean anywhere else on the beard or elsewhere on the body?
-I would request you for a few more clear/focused digital pictures, preferably in day light. I want to have another look at it.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 40 minutes later
No itching and does not exist elsewhere. It has been around for more than 18 years. I will send pictures later.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload more pictures

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You can upload pictures on this forum Or you can also mail me on my email ID YYYY@YYYY

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
I have just attached the picture. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Excessive tissue reaction.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

This is a much better picture as compared to the previous ones. This is definitely not a wart!! It does'nt look like a wart.

This just seems like a exaggerated tissue reaction ( excessive scar tissue formation) probably secondary to your primary problem of ingrown hair.

I would suggest an intralesional steroid injection (triamcinolone acetonide 40 mg /ml). This should dissolve excessive scar tissue and flatten it out. Topical steroid that i mentioned in my first discussion, mometasone furoate can also be used but the response would be better with intralesional injection of triamcinolone.

Should I buy this and a nurse to inject me.9
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Intralesional injection

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I would suggest you to seek an appointment with a dermatologist. It requires a prescription. A dermatologist would be the best person to inject. It needs to be injected intralesional/intradermal.

I am not sure a nurse would be able to put it in the right place.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Alright. Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on healthcaremagic

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 8 minutes later
Any side effects of the injection? So I can contact you on that email address. Please is the injection painful?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Inj is safe

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Slightly painful. My email ID is YYYY@YYYY

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 13 minutes later
I will keep this open till after the injection. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Contact me directly for follow up

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

I would suggest that you start with a topical steroid e.g Mometasone furoate ointment OR Flutibact ointment(combination of fluticasone + mupirocin ) till you get an appointment for injection. You can try to get it from a drug store.

Surely I would happy to follow it up. You can contact me back by posting me a direct query on my profile. My profile can be accessed at: http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-kakkar-s/66939

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
I'm in Nigeria. Do you think I will see these drugs in Nigeria?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Hi

These medicines are commonly used by a dermatologist, therefore you should be able to get them

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Thank you Dr.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to us at healthcaremagic. I would like to follow up the response.