Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for echolalia

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 2770 Questions
My niece demonstrates sys of echolalia (spelling?). I am unable to get parents/grandparents to act on it. She had a miserable experience with high school. No friends until her XXXXXXX year and they were Freshman. I have seen a great improvement in the Echo area but in my reading I see other issues that would fall into the ASD category. In the fall she will start college. I know stress can cause symptoms to re-occur - am concerned and frightened for her. I am wondering about ASD or Tourette's. I appreciate her pain but am just stuck as to how to help her when my family "doesn't talk about these things" and my concern is seen as interference. Retired RN after 42years, Certified in College Health and have pretty good instincts. Feel secure in what I am observing.
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Proper communication and explanation

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.

I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.

If it is asd, she will need help. Although the golden period of improvement in behaviour is lost, still the support and behavioural therapy can help her deal with the problems in communication during her college lives.
Its unfortinate that the family is not cooperatjng and is disinterested. I blame it on their ignorance. The best way would be proper commmunication and information about the illness. You may explain to them your certain cases who had asd or you may even gift them some books to inform them what is asd. You may try to explain tk them that nit seeking help will cause of lot of distress to their child in college and there is nothing wrong in getting evaluated atleast ones. Ask them to get a psychiatrist consultation.
You can only try to help her and rest isbher destiny.

Hope I am able to answer your concerns.

If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:

Wish you good health,

Kind regards

Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor