Suggest treatment for eating disorder

Psychiatrist
Question
hi
I am obese but believe I still have an eating disorder, either bulimia or binge eating disorder or combination. I blinge eat all the time and I throw up after meals. its got to the stage where food comes up my throat when I don't want it to. I find it hard to hold down hot food al the time. im always bloated, extremely over weight. cant keep most food down now. .how do I get help
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle

Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psychiatric consultation will help.

Detailed Answer:

I went through your query and can understand your concerns regarding your eating habits. I appreciate the fact that you have decided to overcome it and are seeking help for the same.

I would recommend that you should consult a psychiatrist for your condition. You seem to be suffering from Bullimia Nervosa. Eating disorders can be treated effectively with a combination of medications and psychotherapy. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like fluoxetine or escitalopram could be effective in you case. More importantly, psychotherapy should be considered at the same time.

Psychotherapy in form of Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) will be highly effective. CBT will help you change your eating behavior and also overcome any negative or maladaptive thoughts which might be the underlying cause of it.

I do hope that I was able to answer your query. Please let me know if you have any further doubts. i will be glad to help.

Wishing you speedy recovery,

Dr. Sunil Gupta