Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for eating disorder

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 637 Questions
I am obese but believe I still have an eating disorder, either bulimia or binge eating disorder or combination. I blinge eat all the time and I throw up after meals. its got to the stage where food comes up my throat when I don't want it to. I find it hard to hold down hot food al the time. im always bloated, extremely over weight. cant keep most food down now. .how do I get help
Posted Mon, 18 Aug 2014 in Weight & Lifestyle
Answered by Dr. Sunil Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Psychiatric consultation will help.

Detailed Answer:

I went through your query and can understand your concerns regarding your eating habits. I appreciate the fact that you have decided to overcome it and are seeking help for the same.

I would recommend that you should consult a psychiatrist for your condition. You seem to be suffering from Bullimia Nervosa. Eating disorders can be treated effectively with a combination of medications and psychotherapy. Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors like fluoxetine or escitalopram could be effective in you case. More importantly, psychotherapy should be considered at the same time.

Psychotherapy in form of Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) will be highly effective. CBT will help you change your eating behavior and also overcome any negative or maladaptive thoughts which might be the underlying cause of it.

I do hope that I was able to answer your query. Please let me know if you have any further doubts. i will be glad to help.

Wishing you speedy recovery,

Dr. Sunil Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor