• question-icon

Suggest treatment for earaches, stiff neck and nerve infection

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hello, Wondering if I would know for certain if I was having TIA? I started to get an earache (left ear) about 10 days ago which was followed by a stiff neck (back of neck, same side as earache) a few days later. And then today I woke up with a numbness/tingling on the left side of my face, mostly the cheek/jaw area. I went to Urgent Care and she said both of my ears looked healthy and sort of rushed me through, saying it was probably just a nerve infection and that it'll be fine. Since this has never happened before and it does not seem to be related to Dental or Ear/Nose/Throat, I am concerned it is Neurological and would like a less rushed second opinion.
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you need to get evaluated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.

Pain, earache and muscle stiffness in neck region is not likely to be a transient ischaemic attack.
The possibility of muscle spasm may be there.

Numbness unilaterally over face may be due to trigeminal neuralgia or neuropathy or even transient ischaemic attack.

But do note that TIA would be short lasting and not continuous.

Is there any speech changes, facial deviation, lesions over the face or ear tingling and numbness over limbs?

A thorough examination by a neurologist is certainly advisable.

Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.

Dr. N Kumar
Neurologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist