Suggest treatment for earache

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 23 May 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My wife has had an earache for several days now. She had a lot of sinus issues this spring. She wants to try Hylands earache drops until Monday morning. We are between insurance so we are trying to keeps our costs down. I'm concerned that an infection might create more damage by waiting too long.
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If non discharging ear then no need of ear drop

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your query; it suggests that your wife may be suffering from the acute otitis media and it is due to the sinus infection causing the Eustachian tube dysfunction.

If your wife have non discharging ear then there is no need of ear drop just go for
1. Nasal decongestant nasal drop 2 drops three times a day such as xylometazoline.
2. Oral nasal decongestant tablet such as fexofenadine 120mg once a day.
3. Mild pain killer before going to her doctor.
4. Steam inhalation three times a day for at least five minute each.
5. Hot fomentation of the ear.

Avoid putting ear bud, oil and water in the ear.

Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj