Suggest treatment for earache while having vertigo

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Fri, 17 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a pain under my right ear where my jaw meets my ear every day for more than a year. Recently I started having vertigo. Last night when I tipped my head back to look at the ceiling, my vision dimmed and went black. It returned when I lowered my head. I've seen a doctor and an ENT and they can't seem to find anything wrong. Ideas?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could you help me with a little more information please, thanks :)

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I can understand your frustration, and before I can go into a few plausible causes, I have a few more questions for your, so I can better understand the cause and narrow it down. Once a diagnosis is established, treatment and relief should be around the corner, so please take some time out to answer each of my questions, thank you.

1. Do you have any difficulty chewing?
2. Does your jaw lock?
3. Any facial pain?
4. Difficulty in opening or closing of your mouth?
5. While chewing do you feel like your bite is uneven?
6. Pain in the neck/upper spine?
7. Pain from neck radiating to shoulders or arms?
8. Ringing in ears?
9. Hearing loss?
10. Ringing in the ear?

I look forward to hearing from you in order to help you further.

Best wishes.
Follow up: Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 days later
1. Do you have any difficulty chewing? No.
2. Does your jaw lock? No.
3. Any facial pain? Occasionally.
4. Difficulty in opening or closing of your mouth? No.
5. While chewing do you feel like your bite is uneven? No.
6. Pain in the neck/upper spine? Occasionally
7. Pain from neck radiating to shoulders or arms? No.
8. Ringing in ears? rarely.
9. Hearing loss? Some.
10. Ringing in the ear?

Just for informational purposes, I've already been checked for TMJ and it has been ruled out. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
?? Suspect a spine related abnormality and suggest an MRI spine

Detailed Answer:
Hello once again ma'am.

That is good to know, and thank you so much for that information.

As for the possibilities right now, I am suspecting a spine related abnormality based on the information and presentation. So I would advise an MRI of your spine, upper mid and lower spine.

The MRI report will provide us with valuable information, a pinched nerve, a herniated disc, slipped disc, bone spurs, etc; can all result in the presentation that you are experiencing. So please speak to your doctor and do request for an MRI spine, this is the closest possibility in my opinion.

I hope and pray the diagnosis is established at the earliest, in order to initiate management at the earliest. Please also do not hesitate to write to me anytime, I am always here to help.

Best wishes.