Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for ear problems

Feb 2018
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General Surgeon
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 15997 Questions
I went back to see the nurse practitioner yesterday and she said my swimmers ear has recovered. The swab showed Candida so I have just taken a fluconazole tablet.

I still have a bit of pain in my ear, which she told me is a Eustachian tube problem, that there is no medication for and I have to wait for it to heal on its own, that could take months. If you have any advice on this I would be grateful.

Thank you
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need further treatment for ''cure''

Detailed Answer:
Read your previous question and answer by our expert on 22 July 2014.

It is good that the swimmer's ear has recovered. If the swab showed Candida, it is advisable to instill Anti-fungal ear drops for about 3 more weeks , earful at bedtime and continue Fluconazole once a week for minimum of 4 weeks; this is to avoid the recurrence as the spores may still be in the canal.

Bit of pain- Simple test is if the pain is on putting the ear bud - this is still Otitis Externa and you need to continue antibiotic and anti-inflammatory till you are symptom-free. IF you are feeling blockage get an antihistamine too. All these three medicines together will help you for all the conditions including far early recovery from Eustachian Tube Dysfunction if it is present.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor