Owl Image

Suggest treatment for ear problems

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018

General Surgeon
Question
I went back to see the nurse practitioner yesterday and she said my swimmers ear has recovered. The swab showed Candida so I have just taken a fluconazole tablet.

I still have a bit of pain in my ear, which she told me is a Eustachian tube problem, that there is no medication for and I have to wait for it to heal on its own, that could take months. If you have any advice on this I would be grateful.

Thank you
Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need further treatment for ''cure''

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Read your previous question and answer by our expert on 22 July 2014.

It is good that the swimmer's ear has recovered. If the swab showed Candida, it is advisable to instill Anti-fungal ear drops for about 3 more weeks , earful at bedtime and continue Fluconazole once a week for minimum of 4 weeks; this is to avoid the recurrence as the spores may still be in the canal.

Bit of pain- Simple test is if the pain is on putting the ear bud - this is still Otitis Externa and you need to continue antibiotic and anti-inflammatory till you are symptom-free. IF you are feeling blockage get an antihistamine too. All these three medicines together will help you for all the conditions including far early recovery from Eustachian Tube Dysfunction if it is present.