Suggest treatment for ear pain

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Fri, 15 Jul 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hey dr,

I have had an ear ache since sunday night and today I went to the doctor and he prescribed me Sofradex 4 times daily with two drops in the effected right ear and to use it until I get better. What I forgot to ask was what I else I could try for pain relief since the ear ache hurts quite a lot especially when swallowing. I have tried Pandol and Nurefoen but they don't seem to work that well they only numb the pain a little bit for a short period of time. Is there anything else stronger that would help? Bear in mind I am also on minocycline 50mg for the treatment of acne twice daily so it needs to not interact with it.

Kind Regards,
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
to prescribe aceclofenac sodium 100mg twice a day with hot fomentation

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your question and understand your concern. Most probably you may be suffering from the furuncle in the ear
In your condition I would like to prescribe aceclofenac sodium 500mg twice a day after food
with hot fomentation around the ear for at least five minutes three times a day.

According to best of knowledge there's no interaction between aceclofenac sodium and minocyclin,so do not worry.

Get back to me if any query

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Thanks dr I will give it a go another thing how long does the Sofradex usually take to work?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can take 2-3 days before you start to notice any difference

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your follow up question; and I would like to inform that it can take 2-3 days before you start to notice any difference.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina