Suggest treatment for ear pain while swallowing

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had a flight about 2 weeks ago and I had a cold. immediate ear pain, clogginess and clicking mostly in right ear. saw ENT who had initially seen fluid behind left ear drum. prescribed Flonaise but i have high eye pressure so cannot take steroids. still slight feeling of fullness and clicking when swallowing. need advise very desperate. thank you!

correction…clogginess and clicking upon swallowing in left ear.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Eustachian Tube Dysfunction

Detailed Answer:

The diagnosis is obvious with the history you have provided and the findings your ENT has told you.
The clogginess and clicking in the left ear 'upon swallowing' indicates that you have still Eustachian tube dysfunction.

Yes, the steroids are avoided when the person has high pressure, but the ones used topically (like Flonaise) have very less concentration and supposed not to cause any complication related to this problem.

Please continue with Decongestant pills ,Advil and turmeric.

Please take Steam Inhalations with plain water.

Avoid blowing the nose , loud speech or high pitch call, fast drinking of liquids, flights, sudden changes of temperature in transit.

All these will help you to recover early.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari