Suggest treatment for ear pain after an injury

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in TMJ
Question: i fell on my surboard and clumped hard onto my chin. my tmj joint on the left side and my ear hurt intensely after this fall. it went away and i continued surfing, but a few hours later, my ear began hurting again but not my jaw. took tylenol. feel asleep but woke to left ear pain and also pain on left cheekbone. i do not hear at all out of my right ear, so very concerned about this injury to my left ear. should i see an ear nose and throat doctor ?
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes! please meet your ent doctor

Detailed Answer:
HELLO

It is likely that your external auditory (ear ) canal has been injured because of the trauma and this will cause swelling of the external canal , which is the cause of your pain and decreased hearing.

There is a remote possibility of you damaging your ear drum , which can also cause decreased hearing,

Please continue tylenol for the pain and meet your ent doctor , he will examine you and help you further. You may need antibiotics for preventing an infection and ear drops to help heal you faster.

This is very important , specially considering that you are not hearing from your right ear .

Please dont delay and meet your doctor for further advice.

Thanks