• question-icon

Suggest treatment for ear infection

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi, my son is 14 months old recovering from ear infection. His taking antibiotics which is supposed to be done this Sunday. This morning he has fever.why?He has both ear drop and oral antibiotic
Answered by Dr. Eric Goldstein 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fever

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I just read through your question.
There are 2 possible reasons why a child will develop fever at this point.
1. He developed a viral in addition to the ear infection. Viral illnesses are not responsive to antibiotics and have to run their course on their own. If the fever resolves in the next 2-3 days, we will know that this is the reason.
2. The bacteria that caused the initial ear infection is resistant to the antibiotic. though this is less likely because of the appearance of the fever at this point, it is not impossible. If the fever persists, it's likely that this is the reason and perhaps a different antibiotic is needed.
Dr. Eric Goldstein

Pediatrician