Suggest treatment for ear infection

Dr. Satvinder Bakshi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: hi, I have an ear problem. First started 16 days ago as a slight pain under ear. I went to doctor as had one ear infection in the past, having never had one ever ( I am 57 years old, male very fit swim most days and run on the others.), and that very bad problem started that way, was given precautionary ear drops otomize. It got worse for the next 5 days and I went back to the doctor. There was now fluid discharge, they changed the drops to locorten-vioform which was both antibiotic and anti fungal and gave me oral antibiotics also. After that 7 day course I was worse. They took a swab and I took no medication for 31/2 days. When results from lab back they said it was a bacterial infection more common in elderly people, almost certainly picked from the Pool and they changed the drops to something very specific for the infection and gave me genticin. I am on my 2nd day of this. My ear is completely blocked/sealed, probably a mixture of the discharge and drops - virtually impossible to open the canal, although sometimes very slightly able to by pulling the lobe - so actually doubt that any drops are getting passed the discharge onto the affected area. Should I continue as I have been advise with the drops for 7 days, or do I need to see somebody to get "unblocked" in some way also. Concerned as they said it had the potential to become chronic if not treated / resolved. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Satvinder Bakshi 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you will need to get the ear cleaned!

Detailed Answer:
Hello

First of all , please dont worry as many infections of the ear may take 3-4 weeks to come down.

You may be having a pseudomonal or e coli infection , which is commonly picked up from swimming pools .

The ear drops and oral antibiotics are the right prescription and i would like you to continue the same.

If there is discharge , then the antibiotic drops will not be able to act , there fore you must meet your doctor , so that he can remove the discharge from your ear , this will also help opening up your ears.

Please dont try to use a q tip and clean your ear as it may damage the ear skin and increase the infection.

I would also like you to keep your ear dry and do not let any water enter the ear,

dont worry , you will be fine.

Thanks