Suggest treatment for ear infection

Posted on Tue, 17 Jun 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I had swimmers ear and was fighting the infection. I went to the after hours clinic who gave me antibiotics. Before I could get them filled I believe my ear drum ruptured causing horrible pain and then went away. I now have discharge, no hearing, vertigo and weakness. I have since started the antibiotics but I'm not sure what else to do. I am unable to live my daily life due to the dizziness and weakness.
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
wait and watch

Detailed Answer:
hello and welcome to health care magic,

I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem. Let me first assure you that it is a common problem and you have nothing to worry about. Just wait for the miracle worker which is our body to heal and you will be better in a week or two.

You are right in assuming that you have a swimmers ear although giddiness is not a very common symptom. You probably have a ruptured drum which can cause ear block and also unsteadiness. This is a part of the healing process in which the ear infection of the middle ear gets resolved and the pus and discharge escapes by rupturing the drum. Although it sounds pretty scary, it is just a part of the healing process and all you have to do is wait.

Meanwhile you can do these:

-Continue the medications as advised by your doctor and do finish the complete course.

-Get an audiometry test done once the discharge is settled. This should include Pure tone and impedance. You can do these and get back to your ENT or me with the reports. These tests will be the baseline measure of your treatment and recovery.

-If the pain and discharge persists then you must do a test called the pus culture and sensitivity to ascertain the effectiveness of the antibiotic which you are taking right now. After this the decision to change or add can be done.

-The most important thing is to keep your ears completely dry and not to put any drops or water in the ear canal. This is the most essential point to ensure that the hole in the drum will heal.

-Avoid taking head bath for a couple of weeks if possible and if you do need to take head bath then you must get it done only in a parlor or saloon.

-You must avoid sudden movements and do everything slow and steady so that there will be no imbalance. This will also get better over time so do not worry.

-Add a multivitamin medication for your weakness and take less salt but more green leafy vegetables in your diet.

-In any case if at the end of a month or so you are still feeling these symptoms then you must consult your ENT or get back to me.

Finally as I mentioned before, this is very common and you will definitely become better so do not worry.

If you have any other doubts you can get back to me and I will be happy to help

get well soon

regards

Dr Sriram Nathan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sriram Nathan

ENT Specialist