Suggest treatment for ear infection and headaches

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 25 May 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I'd like to know what this means. I can't remember the last time I had an ear infection. I was in a car accident a week and a half ago. I've been having headaches and lightheaded dizzy off balance spells for a few months but three doctors over that time frame said I had no ear infection. My nuerologist ordered an MRI with no contrast said there was fluid in the right mastoid air cells.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ear exam, PTA , I/A

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Thank you for your query.

1. Get an ear examination and audiometry tests done.

2. The audiometry tests should include an Impedance Audiometry and a Pure Tone Audiogram (I/A or Tympanometry).

3. If these tests are normal, the mastoid collection is an incidental finding and the headaches, light-headedness and imbalance is more likely to be due to the concussion. Do you remember if you hit your head during the accident?

4. If these test are abnormal, the mastoiditis requires attention. An HRCT Temporal bones must be done. (Bone does not show up on an MRI). The source of this fluid must be confirmed.

5. Upload the MRI images.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 16 minutes later
The headaches and other symptoms began before the car accident. I only mentioned it because i thought the fluid might be from trauma. I do not remember hitting my head but the air bags did deploy. Three doctors in the last while ttold me that my ears were fine.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Did these symptoms cause the accident?

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. In that case was the headache and dizziness implicated in the accident? We're you driving?

2. The source of the fluid will be either a ventilation issue or an infection. It is unlikely that blood and CSF would be missed on an MRI.

Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 12 hours later
Thank you. So I guess my biggest questions should be can it wait for an ENT appointment or is it more potentially serious and should I go to urgent care or ER

Also it will not allow me to upload the MRI

ok mri photos are uploaded
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
This does not require urgent intervention.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. This does not require an ER visit or urgent intervention.

2. The MRI images that have been uploaded do not show the mastoid bones. Ask the Radiology Department to help you select the images.

Regards.