Suggest treatment for ear congestion and headache while having deviated nasal septum

Dr. Hariom Sharma

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello, so I have a deviated septum, but I am getting surgery in December. However, I just got back from a road trip around Europe and for the last 3 days I have had a headache and my ears have been blocked. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Ears may be blocked due to the deviated nasal septum

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your question and understand your concern; it suggests that your Headache and blocked ear may be due to the deviated nasal septum.

For your kind information cause of blocked ear in deviated nasal septum may be due to the either negative pressure in the ear or Glue ear; and cause of headache in the deviated nasal septum may be due to the either block mucus, causing frequent recurring sinus infection or contact point headache.

If I were your treating doctor then for temporary relieve I would like to prescribe local and systemic nasal decongestant.

But To rule out the other disease and to reach the near diagnosis I would like to suggests that you may go for the
1. CT Scan Paranasal sinuses.
2. Impedance audiometry.
3. Nasal endoscopy and otoendoscopy.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Hariom Sharma 3 hours later
What other dieseases?
Answered by Dr. Hariom Sharma 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Other diseases like secretory otitis media, wax etc.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,
I have gone through your follow up question and understand your concern; and for your knowledge other diseases may be wax, fungal infection, secretory otitis media, acute otitis media and Eustachian dysfunction of the ear; and sinusitis, hypertrophied turbinate of the nose.

Dr Hariom Sharma MS, XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar