Suggest treatment for dysuria

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I am. 27 yrar old man suffering from dysuria for the past five days. I have been tested for chlamydia, gonorrehea and uti. All have been negative. I have beem given treatment for chlamydia and gonorrehea just in case. I was wondering though if there is a chance i contracted hiv six-eight months ago would it be possible for the uti white blood cell test to give a false negstive? I ask because today after my treatment i still have dysuria and have a dull ache in my lower back.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of nephro-lithiasis has to ruled out.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.
It is not true that the presence of HIV disease would mask UTI and would interfere the diagnosis of UTI.
If the dysuria persists, increase consumption of water (not less than 3 liters per day) will ease the situation.
If dysuria and low back ache persists then suspect some renal pathology. Ureteric and kidney stones have to be ruled out through an ultra-sound examination of abdomen and urine examination.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 42 hours later
Thank you. I know this isnt your area of expertise but I have a few other questions. I was given antibiotics for chlamydia and gonorrhea and the pain still isnt going away. Since all of my tests where negative what else could it be? My pain is right in the tip of the penis almost like something is stuck and thats where it really hurts when i urinate. It is also very sensitive when pinched right on the end. There has been some pain in the testicles and lower back as well, but no discharge of any kind.
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Urine deposit result and USG abdomen examination will help.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Kindly furnish the report of urine deposit result. That may give a clue for the problem, As you have the problem confined to the tip of urethra, you can have the deposit examination in a split specimen of urine as 1st part and 2 part of urine instead of doing the same in whole urine.
Ultrasound examination of abdomen and kidney and urinary bladder area will also be of use to reach the diagnosis.
Dr S.Murugan
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D