Suggest treatment for dystonia in an elderly person

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: My name is Donna 74years. I have been diagnosed with Pd and dystonia. I'm in my 16th year trying to continue being independent. My difficulties are getting the best of me. I am so tired all the time and due to previous injuriess can't walk very far and suffer from pain chronically. I also choke frequently when out to eat. It's dififcult to socialize because I sometimes have tremors that get out of control. I'm on sinnemet 3 pills a day. I get discouraged and now don't like to leave the house I am a widow who lives alone. Frankly I just feel overwhelmed.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dose of Sinemet can be increased.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting your query.

I am Dr Sudhir Kumar, Neurologist, and would try my best to help you.

I have noted your diagnosis and the current medications. The symptoms of tremors and dystonia would get better with medications. Initially, you could increase the dose of sinemet to 4 times daily, and if needed 5 times daily. Adding Ropinirole or pramipexole would also help.

I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you have any follow up queries or if you require any additional information.

Wishing you good health,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar
My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in