Suggest treatment for dull headache in a diabetic

Posted on Thu, 18 Feb 2016 in Headache and Migraines
Question: What would cause tension, dull headache in the left temple and left back side of the head, blood pressure is normal, i have type 2 diabetes,
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need more info

Detailed Answer:
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

Tension headache, migraine, cluster headache and sinusitis are the likely causes that can occur based on your history

Kindly answer the following to advise accordingly.

Is it the first episode of such a headache or has this been occurring since long.
Did you have any improvement with using Tylenol.
Have you been previously treated for migraine , tension or cluster headaches.
You mentioned sinus problems, Have you got a runny nose or congestion or blocked nose, mouth breathing associated with this headache.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Please consult your doctor before deciding on any further course of action.

For future follow up / correspondence you may ask me directly at the link given below
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 17 minutes later
about two weeks, tylenol does help, some runny nose take clartin. Thank
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained

Detailed Answer:
Hello again.

I would recommend an x ray or CT para nasal sinus, to look for opacification or haziness of sinuses. Antibiotics such as moxifloxacin can be advised along with nasal decongestants such as xynosine and mometasone combination. Claritin can also be continued as before.

If the x ray or CT is normal then celecoxib (NSAID) and tizanidine (Muscle relaxant) can be advised as empiric therapy for 2 weeks. Most likely the symptoms will improve.

As the history is short, migraine headache is unlikely plus there is also no aura or specific trigger associated with the headache. Eye examination should also be done.

You may discuss these options with your physician for further management.

Wishing you best of health

Thanks

Let me know if you have any query

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil