Suggest treatment for dryness and swelling of lips

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My lips have been dry and what feels like swollen but don't look it for past 10 days. Was seen by walk in clinic doctor and prescribed cephalexin and antibiotic ointment 3 days ago. Not much better and now have blisters on edge of lips all around and in both corners. Should I see my family physician or my dermatologist? thank you
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
yes, consult your Primary Care Physician

Detailed Answer:
Welcome, dear XXXXXX!

I have gonr through your querry and well understand your concerns.
It seems like you have an infective condition. Herpes Simplex 1 infection needs to be ruled out. You need to see your primary care physician who is trained to treat such patients successfully. Dont worry, it's usually a viral illness and resolves completely with no chronic issues. Remmeber the precaution that it may spread with kissing and everyday utensils for the time of active infection.

Hope I replied your Query. Have a nice time ahead. If you have any questions/doubts, feel free to ask me a direct Question straight from my profile. I will be more than happy to assist you in almost no time.

Regards!
DR. HANIF XXXXXXX USA
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Muhammad Hanif