Suggest treatment for dry throat and snoring

Dr. Kampana

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Internal Doctor Category
Question:
Good morning Sir
I need advise
I snore a lot ,which lead to thirsty and dry throat.
Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Kampana 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try home remedies and meet an ENT specialist if worsens.

Detailed Answer:

Snoring can be due to various causes like over weight, nasal septum deviation, sinusitis, alcohol, smoking, sleeping on your back. Men in general have narrow air passage and so tend to snore more than women.

You can try a few home remedies:

- Change your sleeping posture: Sleeping on your side reduces sleeping. Elevate head end than leg end.

- Clear nasal passage before sleeping.

- Keep the room humid by using a humidifier.

- Lose weight: Losing even a little bit of weight can reduce fatty tissue in the back of the throat and decrease, or even stop, snoring.

- Avoid alcohol and smoking.

- Healthy diet: Include fresh fruits and vegetables. Eating large meals or consuming certain foods such as dairy or soy milk right before bedtime can make snoring worse.

- Exercise: When you tone various muscles in your body, such as your arms, legs, and abs, this leads to toning the muscles in your throat, which in turn can lead to less snoring.

You can try some anti-snoring exercises like:
- Repeat each vowel (a-e-i-o-u) out loud for three minutes a few times a day.
- Place the tip of your tongue behind your top front teeth. Slide your tongue backwards for three minutes a day.
- Close your mouth and purse your lips. Hold for 30 seconds.
- With your mouth open, move your jaw to the right and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat on the left side.
- With your mouth open, contract the muscle at the back of your throat repeatedly for 30 seconds.
- Singing can increase muscle control in the throat and soft palate, reducing snoring caused by lax muscles.

There are advanced treatments for snoring medically like CPAP and surgically like palatal implants. I would suggest you to discuss with an ENT specialist if your symptoms worsens.

Thirst and dry throat are all due to snoring. So once snoring is reduced the associated symptoms will also reduce.

I hope this answered your query.

With regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana