• question-icon

    Suggest treatment for dry skin on the hands and fingers

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Good Afternoon Dr, This is in regards to my 72 year old father ( he is up to date with physicals, tests, etc other than slightly elevated blood pressure which is managed by 1 pill a day he is healthy..no diabetes, gout, etc.. Twice a year for as long as I can remember his hands, fingers, swell, crack, peal, oooze, when taking a shower he will put plastic bags on his hands when he showers as the water makes it worse and burns. his forearms, calves, and feet also have rashes and are swelling, this happens now ( JUNE) and will go away at some point over the summer and come back around sept, oct. Im thinking this may be some type of allergy Thank You XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Allergic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear XXXX! Thank you for asking HealthCareMagic.
I have gone through your question and i understand .
Since he has done all the ecaminations and they showd nothing else and
according to what you describe about your father's concern, i think that this could be an allergic reaction of the skin.

Dry skin ( crackes,peal), rashes , swelling that happen certain time of the year and go away make me think about ,yes,allergy.

This condition is called Allergic Contact Dermatitis( so it's a contact dermatitis but allergic) since his symptoms appear only in the skin ( hands , forearm, feets ) allergens come in contact with his skin and cause this skin allergic reaction.

If he has yellow liquid on his skin means that allergy is complicated with an bacterial infection and in this case he needs to use a topical antibiotic( Mupirocin ointment).

He should not use hot water while he has a shower cause makes the symptoms worse, he should use warm /cool water instead.

The treatment in this case consist of :
-Find the allergen with and avoid contact with it ,if you do this the symptoms disappear so you need to find out who is the allergen /allergens.
You can start by being aware when the symptoms get worse , check everything around him that makes the symptoms worse .

Do allergy test ( patch test, a ) in a local clinic.
-medication ( topical steroids , ointments ).

Hope you find my answer helpful.
Let me know if you have any further clarifications, i will be happy to help.
Take Care!
Dr Balliu.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Thank You for the reply and I agree. I'm going to make an appointment with a Allergist/immunologist.
Answered by Dr. Rudina Balliu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!
You are welcome!
That would be good.
Take Care!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Answered by
Dr. Rudina Balliu

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2015

Answered : 420 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Dry skin

doctor1 MD

About 5 weeks ago my husband came home and started scratching all over his body. Then about a week later I started to have the same problem. We...

doctor1 MD

I developed a rush on my penis Can you recommend a cream that would be affective for that?

doctor1 MD

hello doctor, which soap is best in the market to maintain rich skin tone and get a satisfactory refreshing feeling?

doctor1 MD

My pcp checked me for hernia last week then referred me to a surgeon. I had hernia surgery 2yrs ago, where the surgeon used mesh to repair the...

doctor1 MD

For the past 2 plus years I have had a flat red rash that starts on my neck and works it s way around the whole of my neck. It becomes hot, sore,...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

140 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Rudina Balliu
  • Q - Suggest treatment for vertigo

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe whiplash along with upper back and shoulder...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for constipation and severe pressure in the lower abdomen

  • Q - Suggest treatment for bilateral hip pain and osteoporosis

  • Q - What is dysphagia?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for dry and flaky skin on face along with pimples

  • Q - Can Magnesium and Psyllium be taken for constipation daily?

  • Q - What causes red blisters at the corner of the mouth?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for pain in the rib cage post injury

  • Q - Suggest alternative treatment for high cholesterol levels