Suggest treatment for dry scaly skin on the legs while having diabetes

Dr. Elona Xhardo

Endocrinologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I have bad scaling on both legs from diabetes also itching, pain and bleeding is also a big problem,how can i treat this?
Answered by Dr. Elona Xhardo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You need a long follow up with your dermatologist

Detailed Answer:
Hello
I read carefully your question and understood your concern.

Many people with diabetes have a skin disorder caused or affected by diabetes because people with diabetes are more prone to getting these conditions.

In my opinion your symptoms are related even to diabetic neuropathy.The treatement in these cases is tricyclic antidepressants, such as amitriptyline (Elavil), imipramine (Tofranil), and desipramine (Norpramin). These medication can help to find pain and itching relief.

If Gabapentin is not effective for your pain,these means that you may need alternative therapies like:(it is necessary to talk with your doctor about the right alternative of treatement for you )
-opioid-like medicine tramadol, can treat much stronger pain.
-supplements like alpha lipoic acid and acetyl-L-carnitine.
-Capsaicin cream(I don't think these cream can help you because in your case,it can cause skin irritation.)
-Acupuncture

For your scaling skin and bleeding problems i suggest to meet one more time your dermatologist because you may need a long local moistruising and antibiotic treatement to solve your skin problems.

I want to remember that it is very important to keep your diabetes well managed.
People with high glucose levels tend to have dry skin and less ability to fend off harmful bacteria.

These are some tips that may help you:
-Keep skin clean and moistruized.
-Avoid very hot baths and showers.
-Moisturizing soaps may help but careful because the extra moisture there can encourage fungus to grow.Moisturize your skin to prevent chapping, especially in cold or windy weather.
-Prevent dry skin. Scratching dry or itchy skin can open it up and allow infection to set in.
-Treat cuts right away. Wash minor cuts with soap and water.
- Cover minor cuts or your bleeding elements with sterile gauze.
- During cold, dry months, keep your home more humid. Bathe less during this weather, if possible.
-Use mild shampoos.

Hope this is helpful.
If you have other questions,feel free abd ask..I will be happy to help.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T