Suggest treatment for dry mouth and sleep apnea

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Question: I'm a smoker of a pack a day and now find myself with dry mouth all the time even when I drink plenty of fluids. Also its been brought to my attention that I can be heard breathing through my mouth as if struggling. My breathing does seem to be in short breaths. I have sleep apnea and do not wear my CPAP mask do to no longer able to really breathe through my nose. I had a deviated septum years ago and perhaps it's back, not sure. My biggest concern is I can sleep for hours and still wake up and be ready for more sleep. I'm tired at work, driving on the road, and at work. Energy drinks don't even help. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

What you are describing is classic obstructive sleep apnea resulting in daytime fatigue. You absolutely must wear a CPAP and stop smoking, or you will continue to feel this way, and also risk heart attack and stroke. You should also consider surgery for deviated septum. These are the only effective solutions.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D